Via Midwest U-19 Women’s Coach Kurt Weaver …
I am pleased to announce that the Midwest U19 Thunderbird ladies won the National All Star Championship this past weekend!!!
26 ladies from all over the Midwest traveled to Nashville, TN and played 3 difficult games to win the tournament. Their ages ranged from 14 to 19 and we had ladies representing each of the LAU’s except Allegheny.
We beat the US U20 Developmental Eagles in the first round and the Eastern Rockies RFU (The West) in the semifinals. Both teams were athletic and fundamentally sound, but the pace of the Midwest game could not be matched. The final game on Sunday was a great match up with the Pacific All Stars. Our ladies came out of the gate with two
quick tries, only to be answered back with a try from the pacific. The Thunderbirds refocused and pushed the score to 22 to 5 at the half. The second half was a great open field game with both sides fighting hard. The final was 29 to 19.
Four of our ladies got named to the ‘All Tournament 15’. Joanna Kitlinski, prop from Grand Valley State University; Alisa Ly, Flanker from University of Minnesota; Maude Marandet, Center from Indiana University; and Kristen Spencer, Wing from Ball State University.
All 26 ladies who traveled got on the field. The quality of rugby at this tournament was astounding. Every team had great fundamentals and played fun, creative rugby. These games highlighted the future of the womens game and it is very encouraging. I have DVD’s of the games for those who would like to view them.
Thanks to all who helped with our team, our trip and as always, Go Thunderbirds!
Kurt Weaver, Coach
Midwest U19 Women
Here’s the final standings …
2. Pacific Coast
3. Eastern Rockies & Northeast – TIE
5. US U-20 Developmental Team (Under-17s)
8. Southern California
And U-20 National Coach Bryn Chivers selected the all-tournament team …
2007 U19 Invitational NASC All Tournament XV
1. Joanna Kitlinski – Midwest (Grand Valley State)
2. Brittany Woodard – U20 Dev Squad (Hyde School, DC)
3. Erica Wheeler – ERRFU (U of Illinois)
4. Mika Underwood – Pacific (Budd Bay, WA)
5. Mallory Ives – ERRFU (Colorado State)
6. Catherine Parkhill – U20 Dev Squad (Burnside, MN)
7. Alisa Ly – Midwest (U of Minnesota)
8. Alex Hartley – Northeast (Brown)
9. Lorelei Boone – South (Brentwood, TN)
10. Hanna Gregor – Northeast (Keystone Women)
11. Maddie Robinson – ERRFU (Fort Collins, CO)
12. Maude Marendet – Midwest (Indiana University)
13. Catherine Turnerdrown – U20 Dev Squad (Riverton, UT)
14. Kristen Spencer – Midwest (Ball State)
15. Sadie Anderson – U20 Dev Squad (Fort Collins)
And big thanks to Toni C. for the Midwest picture and congrats on your try!
By the way, I’d just like to point out that the Midwest has now won at least three of the last year’s All-Star Tournaments – Senior Women, U-19 Women and Senior Men. Yeah Midwest!